Constitution & Rules of the:
MINE MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS ASSOCIATION
(as revised and amended at 21 May 2010)
Any reference in the Constitution and rules, unless inconsistent with the context, to words importing the masculine gender shall include the feminine and vice versa; words importing the singular shall include the plural and vice versa.
1. The name of the Association shall be the “Mine Medical Professionals Association”.
The Objects of the Association
2. The objects of the Association shall be:
(a) To study, discuss and to bring to the attention of its members any matters of medical and general interest pertaining to the mining industry.
(b) To promote the interests of the Medical Profession in the mining industry.
(c) To formulate and review guidelines for a desirable standard and scope of medical practice within the mining industry.
(d) To promote and organise continuing medical education.
(e) To promote medical research by members.
3. To foster a friendly relationship of exchange of views among members of the Association and with the other organisations connected with the mining industry.
4. Membership of the Association shall consist of: Ordinary Members, Associate Members and Honorary Members.
5. Ordinary membership is available to any full or part-time medical or dental professional registered with the HPCSA, whose work or interest is in the field of mining.
6. The following shall be eligible for Associate Membership:
a) Ordinary Members who have ceased to hold appointments qualifying them for Ordinary Membership;
b) Any full or part-time allied medical professional registered with the HPCSA or Nursing Council of South Africa;
c) Any person holding a post matriculation degree or qualification who is involved in research or professional activity relevant to the health of mineworkers.
7. Overseas membership is available to any full or part-time medical professional who resides outside the borders of South Africa and who is registered with a Professional Body.
8. In all matters pertaining to membership, the final decision shall rest with the Executive Committee.
9. a) Associate and Honorary Members shall be entitled to take part in all discussions at General and Clinical Meetings of the Association, but they shall not have the right of voting. They shall only be eligible for membership of the Executive Committee at the discretion of the existing members;
b) Any person elected to the Executive Committee shall become an Honorary Member of the Association.
General Membership Provisions
10. The financial year of the Association shall end on 31 March each year.
11. The annual subscriptions for Ordinary and Associate Membership shall be determined each year by the Executive Committee.
No subscriptions shall be payable by Honorary Members.
12. All subscriptions are due on 1st January in each year then commencing.
13. Ordinary or Associate Members admitted after 30th June in any year shall pay half the annual subscription in respect of that year, except in cases in which the Executive Committee may decide to accept for a shorter period a smaller subscription.
14. Any member whose subscription is one year in arrear shall automatically cease to be a member of the Association.
15. Any member may resign his membership provided that all amounts due by him to the Association have been paid.
16. Any member who shall commit any act which in the opinion of the Executive Committee may reflect discredit on or be prejudicial or antagonistic to the interests of the Association shall be liable to summary dismissal by a majority vote of the Executive Committee; and any member so dismissed shall have no claim whatsoever on the Association.
17. The list of Honorary members shall be subject to any annual review by the Executive Committee.
18. All actions taken by the Executive Committee in terms of Clauses 15 and 16, shall be subject to ratification at the next Annual General Meeting.
19. The Executive Committee members of the Association shall consist of a President. Vice-President and six elected members, each of whom shall be an Ordinary Member of the Association. The immediate Past President of the Association shall be one of the Elected Members. Additional members may be co-opted as is provided for in Section 33.
20. The President, Vice-President and elected members shall each be nominated in writing by any two Ordinary members at least one month before the Annual General Meeting each year and shall be elected by sealed written ballot of all Ordinary members.The President, Vice-President shall hold office for one year, but shall be eligible for re-election to that office for a further consecutive period of one year.Of the six elected members three shall retire annually in rotation and shall not be eligible for re-election as members of the Executive Committee for the year immediately succeeding their period of office, provided, however, that if a retiring member has held office as a result of his appointment in terms of Clause 20 of the Constitution, he shall be eligible for re-election.
21. Any vacancy occurring in the numbers of the Executive Committee during the year, except in the office of President or Vice-President, may be filled by the Executive Committee and any person so appointed shall hold office until the next Annual General Meeting.
22. The Executive Committee may act notwithstanding any vacancies in its numbers
23. (a) The Executive Committee shall have power to co-opt an Ordinary Member to serve temporarily on the Executive Committee during any member’s absence on leave
(b) The Executive Committee may from time to time appoint Sub-Committees from its own members, Ordinary Members or co-opted suitable persons for a special task. These Sub-Committees shall report to the Executive Committee.
24. If any member of the Executive Committee should be absent from three consecutive meetings of the Committee without leave, he shall ipso facto cease to be a member thereof.
25. Leave of absence shall not be granted to any member of the Executive Committee for a period longer than six months. Meetings
26. (a) Ordinary Meetings of the Executive Committee shall be held once a month except in December, unless otherwise decided by the Executive Committee.
(b) Five members shall constitute a quorum at any Executive Committee Meeting
27. (a) Clinical Meetings shall be held once a month unless otherwise decided by the Executive Committee.
(b) General meetings shall be held when decided by the Executive Committee and may be combined with Clinical Meetings.
28. The Annual General Meetings shall be held in May or June of each year.
29. Special General Meetings may be called by the Executive Committee or at the request of four Ordinary Members of the Association.
30. Ten members shall constitute a quorum at any General Meeting. If a quorum is not present fifteen minutes after the time for which the Annual General Meeting has been called, the meeting shall stand adjourned until the day and time fixed for the next Ordinary General Meeting, and the members then present shall constitute a quorum and may transact the business for which the meeting was originally called.
31. At all meetings the chair shall be taken by the President or, in his absence, by the Vice-President, but should neither be present, the meeting shall elect a chairman from amongst the members present.
32. The Chairman shall have, in addition to this ordinary vote, a second or casting vote in case of an equality of votes.
33. Notices of Clinical, General and Executive Committee Meetings shall ordinarily be sent to members at least seven days before the date appointed for such meetings. In cases of urgency, however, such meetings may be called at shorter notice at the discretion of the President.
34. Branches of the Association may be formed with the approval of the Executive Committee. Branches so formed shall elect their own officers and may draw up their own by-laws, provided that they do not conflict with the Association’s Constitution. Each branch shall be represented on the Executive Committee by the Branch Chairman, ex officio, or his deputy as an additional member.
35. Reports of all meetings of branches shall be forwarded to the Executive Committee and may be included in the Journal of the Association. Journal
36. Publication of a Journal shall be a joint venture with The South African Society of Occupational Health Nursing Practitioners, The South African Society of Occupational Medicine and The Southern African Institute for Occupational Hygiene. Subscription to the journal titled: Occupational Health Southern Africa; shall be included in the membership subscription fee. General
37. The management of the business and the control of the Association and of all its property and assets shall be vested in the Executive Committee.
38. The Auditors of the Association shall be appointed by the Executive Committee and paid out of the funds of the Association such remuneration as the Executive Committee may decide.
39. The Secretary shall keep true accounts of the moneys received and expended by the Association, of all the matters in respect of which such receipts and expenditure take place and of the assets, credits and balances of the Association, which shall be audited by one or more auditors.
40. The funds of the Association shall be banked in its name with such bank as the Executive Committee may from time to time appoint and shall be operated upon by the signatures of any two of the following: the Secretary, the Assistant Secretary, two nominated members of the Executive Committee.
41. The Association may be liquidated by a resolution passed by a majority of not less than two-thirds of the Ordinary Members present at a Special General Meeting called for the purpose after written notice of not less than thirty days.
Amendment of Constitution
42. The Constitution shall not be altered or amended except by a special resolution passed by a majority of not less than two-thirds of the Ordinary Members present at a General Meeting and provided that at least thirty days written notice of the proposed alterations or amendments has been given to each Ordinary Member. Any alteration or amendment so made shall be incorporated in and form part of this Constitution and shall be binding on all members of the Association.